Monday, July 30, 2012

Hattie Big Sky - Kirby Larson

Why all this fuss about where someone was born? 
Wasn't it where he lived - rather, how he lived - that counted? 
- page 61

Continuing with my love of historical fiction, I chose Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson as my third historical fiction required read. Although I didn't love this book quite as much as I loved Esperanza Rising, it's definitely a close second. Hattie Big Sky tells readers the story of Hattie Brooks, an orphan living with her ornery (yes, ornery is the proper word for this woman) Aunt Ivy and her sweet Uncle Holt. Despite Hattie's age of 16 and the fact that she hasn't completed school, her Aunt Ivy wants to send her to live in a boarding house to serve as a maid. Magically, Hattie receives her own version of a Hogwarts letter - a letter from her deceased uncle (Uncle Chester) in Vida, Montana, leaving a 320-acre claim of his homestead. Hattie jumps at the chance to move out of her relatives' house and sets off to move to the homestead. What follows is her brief journey from Iowa to Montana and the struggles and heartwarming stories of her life 3 miles outside of Vida. 
Hattie meets a variety of people who impact her life in Vida: Mr. Ebgard - the lawyer in charge of carrying out her uncle's estate; Perilee and Karl Mueller and their children Chase, Mattie, Fern (and later on Lottie) - her neighbors; Traft Martin - the 20-year old son of the richest family in town; Rooster Jim - her chess-playing, bicycle-riding, chicken-raising neighbor; and Leafie - a hardcore woman who can hang with the best of them. All of these people have an impact on Hattie, whether it is one that will last long after she leaves Vida (like Perilee) or someone who terrorizes her existence in his place in the community (like Traft's mother - Mrs. Martin, and often sometimes Traft himself). This book reminded me a little bit of the TV show (that was a family favorite) called Christy (for a clip of it, see here!). Hattie has the same spunk and perseverance that Christy had in the tv show and they're set in the same time period in rural areas. 
Hattie Big Sky was named a Newbery Honor Book in 2007 and I completely understand why. Both Kirby Larson's writing and the characters that she creates throughout the novel had me on the edge of my seat throughout all of the pages. I even cried, which I rarely do while reading books (although the fact that the last two I've read I've cried during doesn't help me - at least they were Hattie Big Sky and Esperanza Rising). This book would be a fantastic read-aloud book or a book club book. I think it would also be a fantastic opportunity to children to journal in a book journal about their reactions, because many of the chapters leave you hanging on the edge of activity. I would definitely recommend Hattie Big Sky for an elementary school classroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment