Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Giver - Lois Lowry

"It didn't worry him. How could someone not fit in?"

The question of "How could someone not fit in?", asked by Jonas in Chapter Six of The Giver, to me, represents a vast majority of the book and how the theme of challenging homogeneity and sameness flows throughout the pages. In reading The Giver many times growing up, I never realized that it was considered as fantasy/science-fiction, and I think that that gives due credit to the author Lois Lowry and the depth of description she used in creating the world of Sameness. When I was watching an interview with Lois Lowry (available here), I was interested to learn that she never considered The Giver as science-fiction either, much more of realistic fiction and that she crafted it in the same way she crafts all of her books - she chooses a place, she writes the characters, and she puts them in situations. I also loved hearing Lois Lowry describe the path that she purposely took us as readers on throughout the book, stating that she made the first third of the book purposely seductive and wanted me as a reader to think, even just for a little while, that Sameness was an okay place to live. And I fell victim to that. And then, just as every time that I read this book, I am heartbroken with Jonas as he learns the reality of Sameness. And again, I am overwhelmed with warmth and  anxiety as he and Gabriel approach the twinkling lights and ride down the hill in the sled. 

When I was thumbing through chapters after I was done reading, I was surprised to see that Lois Lowry leaves us with a very short statement at the end of every chapter, whether it is dialogue between Lily and her father or a description of how Jonas is feeling. I drew a connection between this and the writing style of Cynthia Rylant, who we saw do this in multiple picturebooks throughout her career. But just as I love Cynthia Rylant, I love Lois Lowry. For a single author to contain to of my most beloved childhood novels (The Giver and Number the Stars) is impressive. And even more admirable is that both of these books made me think critically about the wrongdoings going on in the world, embrace my imagination, and created vivid worlds in my head (in both Sameness and Copenhagen with Annemarie and Ellen). I definitely believe that both of these novels and the issues that Lois Lowry raises in her books shaped me to be the person I am today - someone who questions to herself a lot and someone who cares very strongly about the wellbeing of people all across the world. Interestingly enough, these books were both class reads during my "gifted" classes and I wish I could go back and investigate if my peers who were not in gifted instruction were able to experience these books with the same curiosity and interest that I did. 

Although I love this book with all of my heart, I have always wished that The Giver had been more a part of Jonas's final journey. I'm sure that Lois Lowry purposefully chose to have him suddenly disappear than waste pages describing the goodbye between Jonas and The Giver. However, every time I read this book, I find myself turning pages trying to make sure I didn't miss the final scene between Jonas and The Giver. But time and time again, that is my only critique. I do recognize that I have a hard time in being objective in critiquing this book because of my strong personal connection to it and the association that both the book and Lois Lowry have with my childhood. 

When looking at buying books for this class, there was no question in my mind of whether I wanted to purchase The Giver or not for my classroom library. After talking extensively about censorship and its issues as well as reading up on a case of banning The Giver, I feel adequately prepared to talk to my students about any issues they see with the book and break them down for them. Now, I simply have to purchase Number The Stars...

No comments:

Post a Comment